“If we use, to achieve our purposes, a mechanical agency with whose operation we cannot interfere effectively … we had better be quite sure that the purpose put into the machine is the purpose which we really desire.“
Norbert Wiener (Mathematician, 1894-1964) in 1960
„Recent research shows that people are uncomfortable if left alone with their thoughts for as little as six minutes."
Sherry Turkle, An Assault on Empathy. Milken Institute Review (issue on The Power of Ideas), June 2016.
„We all understand the joys of our always-wired world - the connections, the validations, the laughs, the porn, the info. I don't want to deny any of them here. But we are only beginning to get our minds around the costs, if we are even prepared to accept that there are costs."
Dr. Andrew Sullivan, „I Used To Be a Human Being"
„In a world deluged by irrelevant information, clarity is power"
Yuval Noah Harari
I make no claim that my thoughts on IT ethical issues are valid in any way, because I am not a trained philosopher or cyberanthropist. This modesty is necessary in order to listen to those who are. My questions are therefore debatable and (presumably) flawed, but it is precisely these flaws that I am looking…
Cyber + Human
- When children can't climb any more (2022, FAZ.net, German)
- Google Effects on Memory: Cognitive Consequences of Having Information at Our Fingertips (Science.org, 2011, English)
- Cyberchondrie (German)
- Moral outrage in the digital age (Nature Human Behaviour, 2017, English)
- A Human-Centric Perspective on Digital Consenting: The Case of GAFAM (2020, Human Centred Intelligent Systems, English)
- Dark Patterns at Scale: Findings from a Crawl of 11K Shopping Websites (2019, CSCW, English)
- How to Influence Choice Through Default Effect (2019, English)
- Liar, Liar, Hard Drive on Fire: How Media Context Affects Lying Behavior (2011, English)
- Brain Drain: The Mere Presence of One's Own Smartphone Reduces Available Cognitive Capacity (2017, English)
- Students, Computers and Learning (English, 2015)
- Countering Misinformation and Fake News Through Inoculation and Prebunking (English, 2021)
- France wants to block bullying students from Facebook and Instagram (Deutsch, 2023)
- Understanding Account Deletion and Relevant Dark Patterns on Social Media (2022, English)
Human <3 Robot
"Robot love is the maximum of the narcissistic love relationship between humans and robots. A person's love for their robot is only conditioned by the expectations of the robot alone and only for the person alone. Humans cannot fulfill the robot's expectations because they have none."
„Narzissmus war eine Sünde."
Prof. Dr. Reinhard Haller (Psychiater, 1951-)
[..] We do not love ourselves to protect our bodies from injury, but because we're from the beginning "corrupted" by the love of the Other, who does not want us to be injured. We take care of ourselves because an "other" loves us.
European Journal of Psychoanalysis: Sigmund Freud
„Der Imperativ der Authentizität bringt einen narzisstischen Zwang hervor. Der Narzissmus ist nicht identisch mit der gesunden Eigenliebe, die nichts Pathologisches hat. Sie schließt die Liebe zum Anderen nicht aus. Der Narziss ist dagegen blind gegenüber dem Anderen. Der Andere wird so lange umgebogen, bis sich das Ego darin wiedererkennt. Das narzisstische Subjekt nimmt die Welt allein in Abschattungen seiner selbst wahr."
(Philosoph , 1959-)
Julian Marvin Jörs (M.Sc. (Business) Information Systems)
November 2023 - current: Research Assistant (PT) at the University of Magdeburg for Human-Centred Artifical Intelligence (Department of Computer Science)
May 2022 - current: PhD Student at the University of Magdeburg for Human-Centred Artifical Intelligence (Department of Computer Science)
- February 2024 - current: Course supervision for Eudaimonic Interaction Design at the University of Magdeburg (Germany)
- November 2023 - current: Course supervision for Human-Centred Approaches and Technologies at the University of Magdeburg (Germany)
- January 2021 - current: Adjunct professor for Marketing Automation, Data Integration & Voice Control Marketing at the Fresenius University of Applied Sciences, Cologne (Germany)
- April 2018 - current: Adjunct professor for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) at the University of Applied Sciences, Darmstadt (Germany)
Winter term 2019: Adjunct professor for Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) at the University of Applied Sciences, Darmstadt (Germany)
Summer term 2018: Adjunct professor for Selected Topics in Online Marketing (STOM) at the University of Applied Sciences, Darmstadt (Germany)
- October 2018-2021: (Business) Information Systems (M.Sc.) @ University Hagen (Germany)
- October 2013-2018: (Business) Information Systems (B.Sc.) @ TU Darmstadt (Germany, #2 Ranked in Germany for Business Information Systems)
I'm interested in
- Eudaimonia UX & Measurement
- Proactive Computing
- Positive Technology
- Human-Centered Systems
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Digital Ethics and Implementations
- Ethical Data & Platform Usage Design